Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Where I'm From

I am from la cuesta
from playing in the backyard con la manguera on a summers day
I am from playing soccer every weekend
and practicing everyday for the love of the sport
I am from the snake-carrying, majestic eagle
perched on top of the cactus en media del lago
I am from walls littered with family photos
honoring those dear to our hearts
I am from waking up early to see me dad go of to work
and where the kitchen smells delicious from the moment I wake up
I am from bunking beds
sharing a cluttered room con Miguelito
I am from mi Papa Refugio producing agriculture in my backyard
from manzanas, naranjas, and aguacates to elotes, chiles y fresas
I am from the sand between my toes and the cold sea water
but I don't care, I love the refreshing, salty sea air
I am from coming home y la "pinche perra"
lambinadome, asking for mi to pet her
I am from every time I leave he house I give my mom a good bye kiss
and even to this day at 20 some because it reminds of when I was kid

1 comment:

  1. Your use of both Spanish and English communicated to the reader that being bilingual is an important aspect of where you are from without directly stating it. I love that you transition between the two languages so fluidly and within phrases. It also coveys that there are certain ideas within a language that so perfectly communicate the cultural meaning behind them that translating them does not fully communicate their importance.
    Your rich details in the poem of your childhood experiences places me in your back yard with you, seeing all the colors of the different fruits.

    ReplyDelete